Search This Blog

Friday, December 20, 2013

Taking a Break From Writing

I don't know about anybody else, but when the holidays roll around I find it difficult to get any work done.

Maybe it’s the stress of the holidays that’s causing it, but for the last couple of weeks I’ve hardly got any work done. I had a goal of trying to finish Westmore 5 by Christmas, now it seems like I won’t be reaching my goal.

Although I'm disappointed my goal won't be accomplished, I realize maybe it's for the best. My mind's been clogged lately and I've decided to take a break and enjoy the holidays. The time off will help me relax and recharge my batteries. Then when the new year arrives, I'll be rested and ready to get back to writing.

1 comment:

  1. This is an interesting and common dilemma, Carol.

    I went through the same thought process you described. I wanted to get a novel published for the Christmas rush (I missed doing so last year!). But as Christmas drew closer, it seemed I couldn't get the book done in time. So mentally I acquiesced. But I wasn't happy about it. I knew I would be disappointed. So, I dug in and did a bunch of 14-hour days. December 23rd was my hard deadline because we were going to be traveling. So I was up until past midnight on the 22nd, uploading it to Amazon. I had done it. It's a nice feeling.

    Your approach is equally valid. If it felt right to wait a week or two, recharge, and then jump back into the story with gusto, that's a good plan. The Christmas hoopla will have died down a bit and readers will have space in their consciousness to seek out new books to read.

    Go get 'em, Carol!

    ReplyDelete